1. Why are you a musician?
Sarah Partridge: I’m a musician because music is always in me. I’m constantly humming, tapping my foot and creating melodies, so it’s clearly a passion. The icing on the cake is giving the music away and having people enjoy it. That’s heaven.
2. Who are your musical inspirations?
My musical inspirations come from all genres. Sarah Vaughan, Stan Getz, Jackson Browne and Rachmaninov to name a few. They all give me chills.
3. What is your practice routine?
I practice almost every day. There are certain vocal warm-ups that are easy on the body and throat that warm me up and get me ready to sing. Unless I’m really busy with performances or on tour…It’s important for me to work on my voice as well as sing songs with regularity . 20-60 minutes works well for me. Of course a day or two of rest works well too.
4. Why did you make this album?
Beautiful Minds: Celebrating Extraordinary Women
By Sarah Partridge
I made this album to honor and celebrate women behind the scenes working in STEM. Women in science are a passionate bunch, much like female musicians, who have had to overcome obstacles along the way to achieve their goals. I thought that this would be not only an enjoyable and educational body of work but also an important one. I so enjoyed melding art and science in the form of music!
5. What were the biggest obstacles in making this album? How did you overcome?
A daunting obstacle was trying to pair down a list of so many amazing and talented women into a short list of 10. Figuring out how to write lyrics and music that would actually tell some kind of a story about who these women are was an obstacle I had never encountered before. However, the challenge was actually enjoyable… Like piecing a puzzle together. Patience helped me overcome these challenges.
6. Who is featured on the album?
- Allen Farnham -Pianist/Composer/Arranger
- Bill Moring-Acoustic/Electric Bass
- Tim Horner-Drums/Percussion/Composer/Arranger
- Dan Block-Tenor/soprano Saxophones
- Ben Williams-Trombone/Composer/Arranger
- Nate Ecklund-Trumpet/Flugelhorn
- Tomoko Ohno- Pianist/Composer/Arranger
- Ben Stein-Acoustic Guitar
- Will Farnham- Violin
- Andrew Shantz- Composer
- Craig Snider-Composer
7. Where may we find you AND the album online?
- Sarah Partridge’s website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Listen to Beautiful Minds: Celebrating Extraordinary Women
Note: Kabir Sehgal helped produce the project.