1. Why are you a musician?
I am a musician because as a child I remembered the feeling I got after hearing live music. It was an experience that I couldn’t explain then or now. Spiritual in every way and also up-lifting to the point of wanting to try a musical instrument at a young age. To be able to touch someone else with sound is holy in every way.
2. Who are your musical inspirations?
My musical inspirations are both my parents who were also involved with the arts during their young days. My mother was a dance choreographer and my father played trombone during his college days. Both wanted me to be an Artist of some sort and music was the key. I was introduced too many great musicians that worked in the Board of Education of New York City, which allowed me to pick up quickly on my instrument and learn about latin and jazz music. Here are a couple others that inspired me : Victor Venegas, Andy Gonzalez, Ruben Rodriguez, Connie Grossman, Wynton Marsalis, Tito Nieves, Joe Santiago just to name a few.
3. What is your practice routine?
Frequency, is key to a healthy sound and stable posture.
4. Why did you make this album?
The South Bronx Story
By Carlos Henriquez
I made this album because I wanted to talk about The South Bronx in a musical fashion. I have many fond memories as a child and wanted to add music to those visions. Plus, I needed to stand-up for my neighborhoods that enriched me with so much history and musical culture.
5. What were the biggest obstacles in making this album? How did you overcome?
The biggest obstacles making this project was COVID 19. After I was given the green light to go into the studio and lay down all the tracks, mastering was in the horizons right around the end of March 2020, of Course, COVID 19 put a halt to that and the world. It took me months and constant check-ups to see if everyone was safe and healthy first before seeing if we could resume. The pieces were slowly put together and with the grace of GOD we were able to have our project set and ready by Feb-March 2021.
6. Who is featured on the album?
- Jeremy Bosch – Vocals & Flute
- Melissa Aldana – Tenor Sax
- Michael Rodriguez – Trumpet
- Marshall Gilkes – Trombone
- Terell Stafford – Trumpet
- Robert Rodriguez – Piano & Fender Rhodes
- Anthony Almonte – Coro & Congas
- Obed Calvaire – Drums
7. Where may we find you online?
- Carlos Henriquez’s website, Instagram
- Listen to The South Bronx Story